We caught up with up-and-coming baker The Cookie Dude to hear all about his latest venture: Gin and Tonic Cookies!
Scroll to the bottom to get your hands on the recipe!
1. Have you always been a baker?
Not always. My first memory of baking is making Christmas cake with my mum. It didn’t become a hobby until much later in life though! Having worked offshore for many years I wanted to do something a bit different, so I went to see our nightshift baker on the rigs for some inspiration.
2. Do you drink gin? If so, which brands are your favourites?
I love the gins from the Gin Bothy. You also can’t beat an Edinburgh Gin! My favourite at the moment though is Edgerton Pink Gin.
3. Why did you start baking gin cookies?
Prosecco cookies were my first venture into the world of drinks themed cookies. I saw that John Lewis were selling a box of prosecco bonbons, thought they’d make excellent cookie toppings, and I was right. I then got my hands on some gin and tonic bonbons, and my G&T cookies were born.
4. How long does it take to make a batch of (how many?) cookies?
I’ve got it down to a fine art, so I can make about 20 cookies in about 20 minutes
5. Any secret ingredients?
That would be telling…
My top tip is: Don’t overbake your cookies! Never be frightened to take them out of the oven, even if they look underdone because 9/10 they won’t be.
6. How much alcohol is in them? Are your cookies for over 18s only?
I experimented with adding actual gin to the cookies but it really affected the rise, so I’m pleased to say that my cookies contain no alcohol and are suitable for all ages!
7. Would you consider trying gin liqueur cookies?
I’ll try anything – as long as I can source the ingredients I’ll give it a go!
8. Where can we find your cookies?
You can currently find and order your own custom batch of cookies on Facebook @TheCookieDudeScotland.
Now what you’ve all been waiting for… The recipe!
This delightful recipe makes approximately 12 cookies – depending on how big you want your biscuits to be. Now, this isn’t the Cookie Dude’s exact recipe but, it’s very close and (if we do say so ourselves) just as delicious!
- 120g room temperature butter
- 120g brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 220g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Gin and tonic chocolate
(optional grating of lime zest for those of you who like things extra zingy!)
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Carefully sift and fold in the flour and salt, then add as many chunks of gin and tonic chocolate as you would like!
- Roll into a long sausage shape and cut into individual, cookie-sized slices.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 7-10 mins at 180°C (gas mark 4)