There are a few joys in life that we will voluntarily indulge in. One of them is gin (with us being self-proclaimed gin lovers, it wouldn’t take long for you to guess that one), another one is attending social events revolved around gin.
As with every year, it is much to our delight that we’re anticipating this year’s World Gin Day. If you’re wondering why then just keep on reading.
What is World Gin Day?
So if you’re fairly new in the “gin-loving sphere”, World Gin Day is a day based upon which various events in various locations take place, in honour of celebrating all things gin.
In the past such events have included a gin and jazz party in London, a juniper festival in Edinburgh, a garden party in Bath and all-day gin party in Bristol – gin lovers just know how to throw a party.
What is more, is that this occasion is slowly becoming bigger every year to the point where last year the #worldginday was trending all day on Twitter in the UK.
The idea behind it is to get people from across the globe together to drink gin under a series of events taking place in one day.
Nevertheless since 2013 the event has been ran by Emma Stokes who is a business woman and blogger for Gin Monkey. The concept has now evolved into a global celebration with events running in over 30 countries around the world, and reaching over 50 million people on social channels.
When Will It Take Place?
World Gin Day tends to fall on the second Saturday of June. For 2018 that date was June 9, but this year it will take place on June 8. The prudent strategy behind this is that you get the Sunday to recover.
There’s A World Gin Day Gin?
View this post on Instagram
WIN GIN! Take a photo of your #WorldGinDay gin celebrations, tagging @GinMonkeyUK & @BoutiqueyGin (don't forget the hashtag!) on twitter or instagram to be in with a chance of winning a bottle of the official World Gin Day 7 Continents Gin! https://worldginday.com/take-a-photo-of-your-worldginday-celebrations-win-gin/
You bet there is. The official World Gin Day Gin is called “7 Continents Gin” and it’s been distilled in collaboration with That Boutique-y Gin Company. The gin itself has been made with one botanical sourced from each of the world’s seven continents.
The Botanicals Include: juniper from Europe, liquorice root from Africa, cinnamon from Asia, coriander from Australia, angelica root from North America and lime from South America.
If you fancy purchasing a bottle it retails for £31.95 on Master of Malt.
What Events To Expect This Year?
As mentioned events can take place in various locations so there’s no set venue. We’re listing all the events and their locations below.
- Junipalooza London – a gin tasting featuring the distillers of various brands offering their produce.
- Botanical bus tour with Brookie’s Gin and Ink Gin Australia – gin distillery tour taking a bus from Brisbane.
- Stockholm Gin Fest – Sweden’s First International Gin Festival with Nordic Gin at the heart of it.
- The Ginchester Fête 2019 Winchester UK – the region’s quirkiest celebration of the juniper spirit takes place in the medieval banquet of Great Hall Winchester.
More from The Gin Kin:
- Lemon Drizzle Gin Cheesecake Is The Recipe You Have to Try Now
- Waitrose Offers Gin O’Clock and You Can Experience It from The Comfort of Your Home
- Tesco Sells Parma Violet Gin Liqueur Bottle for £6