When the nights get darker and chillier, you know it’s time to embrace a whole new taste palette. Fortunately, this delicious plum gin recipe is on hand to give you an easy way to make your very own.
Truth be told, plums are quite similar to damsons, however no doubt that they are different from one another. On a superficial level damsons are oval shaped compared to the rounder shape of plums.
Plums contain more water, making them less popular when it comes to cooking as it takes a bit more to de-stone them and prepare them.
Your plums should be ripe and round, wash your batch thoroughly and pierce the fruit for this plum gin recipe.
How to Make Plum Gin
- 6-8 plums
- 8-12 blackberries
- 1/8 cup juniper berries
- 2 cloves
- Zest from 1 lime
- 300 ml gin
- 300 ml water
- 120 ml simple syrup
- Grate the lime to get the zest.
- Combine juniper berries, cloves and lime zest and break up with a mortar and pestle. Place in a quart-sized jar.
- Add the gin, sliced plums and blackberries.
- Mix thoroughly. Then place over the lid and shake well.
- Let it steep for 24 hours.
- Strain out all solids with a fine mesh strainer.
- Combine infusion with filtered water and simple syrup to dilute.
- Stir, bottle and enjoy.