It can be fun to experiment in the kitchen with trying something new, but equally satisfying is to create a cocktail that has been tried and tested over decades, even centuries, and is still loved universally.
Classic gin cocktails are the very essence of elegance and sophistication, but it’s not all about style – they look like a million dollars but there’s a wealth of riches in the flavours too.
The great thing about making the most famous cocktails is that they are incredibly easy to make. The simple things in life truly are the best – that’s why these cocktails are still around and always will be.
So if you’re hosting a cocktail party or simply want to treat yourself to a little bit of luxury, you’ll find a recipe to suit every occasion within this cocktail guide.
Best Classic Gin Cocktails
- • 50ml Japanese Gin
- • 15ml Dry Vermouth
- • Apple to garnish
- 1. Pour the gin and vermouth into a shaker filled with ice.
- 2. Stir and strain into a martini glass.
- 3. Garnish with a crisp apple fan.
- • 40ml Lind & Lime Gin
- • 40ml lime juice
- • 10ml sugar syrup
- 1. Pour the lime juice and sugar syrup into a jug or tall glass and add a few ice cubes and the gin.
- 2. Stir until the outside of the container feels very cold.
- 3. Strain the mixture into a chilled Martini or coupe glass.
- • 30ml Brookie’s Dry Gin
- • 30ml Campari
- • 30ml Premium Sweet Vermouth
- 1. Stir over ice & strain into an ice-filled glass.
- • 50ml Lemon Grove Gin
- • 2 tsps honey
- • 40ml fresh orange juice
- 1. Add the gin and honey to a shaker and stir well until the honey has dissolved.
- 2. Add the orange juice and shake well.
- 3. Strain into a martini glass, or in a tumbler over the rocks.
- 4. Garnish with a twist of orange.
- • 20ml Porter’s Modern Classic Gin
- • 20ml lemon juice
- • 5ml caster sugar
- • Top off with Champagne
- 1. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze into your cocktail shaker.
- 2. Carefully measure out the sugar and gin then add to your cocktail shaker.
- 3. Attach the shaker lid and shake well for 20 – 30 seconds.
- 4. Serve in a flute and top with champagne.
- 5. Garnish with lemon peel to add an extra burst of flavour.
- • 60ml Peels Gin
- • 30ml fresh lemon juice
- • 15ml sugar syrup
- • Chilled soda water
- • Lemon slices & Maraschino cherry to garnish
- 1. Add the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup to a glass filled with ice and stir well to combine.
- 2. Top with soda and give it a final stir.
- 3. Garnish with a lemon slice and a Mascharino cherry.
- • 50ml Chesterfield Mojito Gin
- • 15ml lime juice
- • 20ml sugar syrup
- • 10 mint leaves
- • Soda water
- • 3 Lime wedges
- 1. Add the gin, lime juice, sugar syrup, and 8 mint leaves into a glass.
- 2. Churn (rather than muddle) with crushed ice.
- 3. Top up with soda water.
- 4. Garnish with the remaining mint leaves and lime wedges.
- • 35ml Sky Wave Gin
- • 15ml cherry liqueur
- • 7.5ml Benedictine
- • 7.5ml Cointreau
- • 120ml pineapple juice
- • 15ml of lime juice
- • 5-10ml grenadine
- • Pineapple to garnish
- 1. Pour the ingredients into an ice-filled cocktail shaker and add a few drops of Angostura bitters.
- 2. Cover and shake vigorously then fill a tall glass with ice, then strain the cocktail over the ice.
- 3. Garnish with pineapple slice.
- • 50ml Piston Coffee Infused Gin
- • 1 Shot of espresso
- • 15ml maple syrup
- 1. Place all ingredients into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
- 2. Shake until chilled.
- 3. Strain into glass and garnish with 2/3 coffee beans.
- • 60ml Scuttled Gin
- • 8 mint leaves
- • 30ml fresh lime juice
- • 15ml sugar syrup
- 1. Add the gin, mint, lime juice and sugar syrup to a shaker full of ice and shake well.
- 2. Strain finely into a Martini glass.
- 3. Garnish with mint sprig.
- • 50ml Shetland Reel Original Gin
- • Shetland Reel Rhubarb & Bramble Liqueur (to drizzle)
- • 15ml fresh lemon juice
- • 15ml simple syrup
- 1. Place the gin, lemon juice, syrup and mint leaves in the bottom of a shaker and muddle slightly. Add ice and shake until cool.
- 2. Fill a tumbler with crushed ice and strain in the cocktail.
- 3. Drizzle Rhubarb and Bramble Liqueur over the top and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Gin Hot Toddy
- • 50ml Marmalade Old Tom Gin
- • 5ml orange marmalade
- • 1tsp sugar
- • Hot water
- • Orange, star anise, cinnamon and clove to garnish
- 1. Add the gin and marmalade to a mug.
- 2. Top with boiling water and stir in the sugar.
- 3. Garnish with orange, star anise, cinnamon and clove.
- • 50ml Isle of Bute Oyster Gin
- • 75ml tomato juice
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • Tabasco sauce
- • Worcestershire sauce
- • Cucumber, chilli, basil and thyme to garnish
- 1. Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and roll between two cocktail shakers with cubed ice.
- 2. Fine strain into a highball glass over cubed ice.
- 3. Garnish with cucumber, chilli, basil and thyme.
- • 30ml Cambridge Dry Gin
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • 20ml honey syrup
- • 25ml apple juice
- • Egg white
- • Fresh dill to garnish
- • Fresh flowers to garnish
- 1. Combine ingredients in a shaker, dry shake, then shake with ice.
- 2. Fine strain and serve over ice in tumbler.
- 3. Garnish with dill pollen, dill and fresh flowers.
The Perfect Gin & Tonic
- • 50ml London Dry style gin
- • 150ml premium tonic water
- • Lime wedges or lemon slices to garnish
- • Ice
- 1. Prepare a chilled Copa glass (place in the freezer for 20 mins prior to serving).
- 2. Add plenty of ice (pour out any excess water from the glass).
- 3. Add the gin.
- 4. Pour over the tonic and stir well.
- 5. Add the garnish.