This summer, your cocktails might just be about to get loud and proud. Serves with Italian oranges have always been popular when the weather heats up – see blood orange gin – but now it’s all about exploring Italy’s inspiring alcohol heritage and pairing them with your gin.
Since you can’t get much more Italian than a sunny glass of Aperol, these Aperol and gin pairings are a great starting point to explore the trend but the sky’s the limit when it comes to creating fiery, bold cocktails this season.
The Essential Aperol Gin Spritz
- 50ml Aperol
- 75ml Prosecco
- 25ml gin
- A splash of soda water
- Orange slices, to garnish
- Add a generous amount of ice to a large wine glass. Pour over the Aperol, followed by Prosecco then gin.
- Add a splash of soda water and a slice of orange or two then stir.
Aperol Gin Negroni, with Hendrick’s Gin
Recipe via Hendrick’s Gin
- 30 ml Hendrick’s Gin
- 30 ml Cochi Sweet Vermouth
- 15 ml Campari
- 15 ml Aperol
- 1 Orange, segments and zest
- Pour all ingredients into a rocks glass over ice.
- Stir gently and garnish with an orange wedge.
Recipe by Nick Smith.
- 225ml gin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 lemon
- 150ml Aperol
- 225ml lemon juice
- 225ml orange juice
- 225ml grapefruit juice
- 150ml Prosecco
- Orange wheels to garnish
- Juice the lemon and reserve the peel
- In a bowl, muddle the lemon peel with the sugar and allow to sit for 30 minutes or overnight
- 30 minutes before serving add the gin, Aperol, lemon juice and elderflower liqueur and leave to steep for 30 minutes
- Strain into an ice filled jug
- Top up with Prosecco
- Garnish the punch bowl and glasses with orange slices.
See our summer gin cocktails guide for even more drinks inspiration.