Tonic is of course the world’s favourite pairing for gin but sometimes it’s nice to have a change and that’s where the combination of gin and orange can come in.
The botanicals found in gin match perfectly with the zesty sweetness of orange and it has the added bonus of vitamin C injection to your drink.
Gin and orange cocktails don’t have to consist simply of the addition of orange juice. Orange liqueurs, orange bitters and even orange marmalade can be part of some exceptionally tasty cocktails.
We’ve rounded up the ten best gin and orange cocktails, some refreshing, some cooling, some warming but all of them delicious, to be enjoyed all year round.
Best Gin and Orange Cocktails
Simmer Gin Sour
- • 35ml Shetland Reel Simmer Gin
- • 10ml orange and honey syrup
- • 15ml fresh lemon juice
- • Egg white
- • 10ml blood orange
- 1. Shake ingredients in a shaker and dry shake until egg has combined with the rest of the drink.
- 2. Add ice and shake to chill and dilute.
- 3. Double strain into chilled coup and garnish with dried orange slice.
(For the orange and honey syrup: combine equal parts honey and water with orange peel in a pan. Heat until honey has dissolved and reduced slightly. Let it cool and then store it for up to 10 days in a jar/container)
Valencian Orange Fizz
- • 50ml Pin Gin Valencian Orange
- • 1 Valencian orange (juice only)
- • 3 drops angostura bitters
- • Soda water
- 1. Pour the orange juice over ice in a long glass.
- 2. Add the gin and bitters.
- 3. Give the drink a stir and top up with soda water to desired level.
- 4. Stir gently to mix.
York Gin Martinez
- • 40ml York Gin Old Tom
- • 10ml orange liqueur
- • 40ml sweet red vermouth
- • Dash of orange bitters
- • Twist of orange to garnish.
- 1. Stir all the liquid ingredients over ice.
- 2. Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a twisted strip of orange zest.
An English Sunrise
- 1. Combine all ingredients into a tall glass and garnish with pink grapefruit wheel.
- • 50ml Teasmith Gin
- • 50ml Martini Rosso
- • 40ml Campari
- • Half an orange
- • 2 whole cloves
- 1. Remove 8 pieces of zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler and put to the side.
- 2. Squeeze the juice of the orange and add the cloves into the jug.
- 3. Pour the gin, Martini, Campari into the jug.
- 4. Add plenty of ice and stir well.
- 5. Fill a tumbler with ice, or pre-chill a martini glass.
- 6. Strain into your glass of choice and garnish with a twisted orange zest.
Hrafn Gin Mandarin Mojito
- • 50ml Hrafn Gin ‘Thought & Memory’
- • 100ml Fever-Tree Sicilian Lemonade
- • 10ml sugar syrup
- • ½ unpeeled mandarin, chopped
- • 7 mint leaves
- 1. Add mint & mandarin to heavy based rocks glass.
- 2. Muddle the mint and mandarin.
- 3. Pour over sugar syrup.
- 4. Fill a glass with ice and pour in the Hrafn Gin.
- 5. Top with Fever-Tree Sicilian Lemonade.
- 6. Garnish with mint & mandarin peel.
Marmalade Hot Toddy
- • 50ml Marmalade Old Tom Gin
- • 5ml orange marmalade
- • 1tsp sugar
- • Hot water
- • Orange, star anise, cinnamon and clove to garnish
- 1. Add the gin and marmalade to a mug.
- 2. Top with boiling water and stir in the sugar.
- 3. Garnish with orange, star anise, cinnamon and clove.
Rock Rose Gin Slush
- • 50ml Rock Rose Gin
- • 100ml tonic
- • 1 orange, juiced
- • Rosemary sprig and orange slice to garnish
- 1. Add lots of ice to a blender with the gin, tonic and a squeeze of orange juice.
- 2. Whizz until crushed and pour into a glass.
- 3. Garnish with rosemary sprig and orange.
Mr Hobbs Fruit Cup
- • 30ml Mr Hobbs Gin
- • 30ml orange liqueur
- • 30ml sweet vermouth
- • 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- • Ginger ale (to top)
- • Orange, lemon, strawberry and mint to garnish
- 1. Place top 4 ingredients into an ice filled shaker, shake and strain into an ice filled hi-ball.
- 2. Garnish with orange, lemon, strawberry and mint.
Masons Rising Phoenix
- • 50ml Masons Dry Yorkshire Gin
- • 2 spoons of rindless orange marmalade
- • 20ml lemon juice
- • Egg white
- • 3 dashes orange flower water
- 1. Add the gin and marmalade to a cocktail shaker and stir to dissolve.
- 2. When ready, add the other ingredients and add one ice cube before shaking until it has dissolved. Next, add ice and shake again.
- 3. Fine strain into a chilled coupette glass and garnish with a piece of orange zest cut into a flame.