The British countryside is a beautiful thing and never more so than from late May to mid June when elderflowers briefly bloom.
The elderflower is the jewel in the crown for many foragers – white gold growing on hedgerows and in woodland that is destined to become, among other things, elegant elderflower gin cocktails.
Fragrant and floral, elderflower gin has a taste like no other, an unmistakeable quality that brings a distinctiveness to cocktails that transports the drinker to the sunny countryside in just a sip.
Elderflower gin cocktails are often paired with Prosecco for the ultimate celebratory drink, but that’s not all it can do – why not try one of these recipes and see for yourself.
Best Elderflower Gin Cocktails
Lakes Elderflower Gin Fizz
- • 50ml The Lakes Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 15ml lime juice
- • 20ml sugar syrup
- • Prosecco or sparkling wine
- • Mint leaves, to garnish
- 1. In a cocktail shaker, combine the first three ingredients over ice and fine strain into a chilled champagne flute.
- 2. Top with sparkling wine or Prosecco and garnish with mint leaves.
- • 25ml Old Curiosity Pink Elderflower & Jasmine Gin
- • 25ml Sauvignon Blanc
- • 5ml elderflower cordial
- • Fever-Tree Elderflower Tonic
- • Orange and rosemary to garnish
- 1. Shake all ingredients except tonic and pour into a Highball glass.
- 2. Top up with tonic and garnish with orange and rosemary.
Indian Elderflower G&T
- • 50ml Zesty Hedgepig Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • Fever Tree Indian Tonic
- • Apple to garnish
- 1. Add the gin liqueur to a glass with ice and top up with Indian tonic.
- 2. Garnish with apple for best flavour pairing.
Raspberry & Elderflower Gin Fizz
- • 15ml Raspberry & Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 60ml Mr Hobbs Gin
- • 35ml fresh lemon juice
- • 15ml sugar syrup
- • 10 x fresh raspberries (25ml raspberry puree)
- • 3 x dashes orange bitters
- • Soda
- • Raspberries, mint and viola flower to garnish
- 1. Muddle raspberries in shaker.
- 2. Place top 5 ingredients into an ice filled shaker.
- 3. Shake and fine strain into an ice filled hi-ball & top up with soda.
- 4. Garnish with raspberries, mint and viola flower.
Cambridge Apple & Elderflower Gin Fizz
- • 25ml Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 30ml Cambridge Dry Gin
- • 250ml cloudy apple juice
- • Soda water
- • Apple slices to garnish
- 1. In a mixing bowl add the gin, elderflower gin liqueur and cloudy apple juice and mix.
- 2. Pour and divide into 4 glasses with ice and top up with soda water.
- 3. Garnish with apple slices (optional).
- • 30ml The Lakes Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 10ml Sugar syrup
- • 50ml Dry white wine
- • Orange twist
- 1. Stir all ingredients until very cold in a mixing glass.
- 2. Strain into a pre-chilled Coupe glass and garnish with an orange twist.