The gin sour is one of the classic cocktail recipes, and like most of the classics it’s also really easy to make.
As a basic rule a gin sour cocktail contains gin, lemon juice and sugar to take the edge off the bitterness, however there are no hard and fast rules.
Often a distinctive feature of the gin sour is a frothy top and that’s why you’ll see egg white in some of these recipes.
Above all, a gin sour cocktail is the consummate classy cocktail and will make a statement at any party. If you’re having a night in and want to impress, try these six easy to make gin sour cocktail recipes.
Best Gin Sour Cocktail Recipes
Simmer Dim Sour
- • 35ml Shetland Reel Simmer Gin
- • 10ml orange and honey syrup
- • 15ml fresh lemon juice
- • Egg white
- • 10ml blood orange
- 1. Shake ingredients in a shaker and dry shake until egg has combined with the rest of the drink.
- 2. Add ice and shake to chill and dilute.
- 3. Double strain into chilled coup and garnish with dried orange slice.
(For the orange and honey syrup: combine equal parts honey and water with orange peel in a pan. Heat until honey has dissolved and reduced slightly. Let it cool and then store it for up to 10 days in a jar/container)
Plum and Lavender Gin Sour Cocktail
- • 40ml Gordon Castle Gin
- • 20ml Gordon Castle Plum Gin Liqueur
- • 10ml fresh lemon juice
- • 1 dash vanilla essence
- • 30ml mediterranean tonic water
- • 1 egg white
- • Fresh lavender from Gordon Castle
- • Walled Garden (if you can!)
- 1. Muddle lavender with lemon and liqueur, add other ingredients (except tonic) and shake with ice.
- 2. Double strain into glass, top with tonic and garnish with more lavender.
- • 30ml Cambridge Dry Gin
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • 20ml honey syrup
- • 25ml apple juice
- • Egg white
- • Fresh dill to garnish
- • Fresh flowers to garnish
- 1. Combine ingredients in a shaker, dry shake, then shake with ice.
- 2. Fine strain and serve over ice in tumbler.
- 3. Garnish with dill pollen, dill and fresh flowers.
- • 60ml Brookie’s Slow Gin
- • 30ml lemon juice
- • 1x healthy bar spoon of Davidson’s Plum Jam
- • 10ml Aquafaba
- • Garnish with Aniseed Myrtle Leaf or an edible flower & Davidson Plum Powder
- Shake ingredients with ice & double strain into ice-filled glass.
Sloe Gin Sour Cocktail
- • 35ml Mother’s Ruin Sloe Gin
- • 35ml bourbon
- • 35ml fresh lemon juice
- • Couple of dashes of orange bitters
- 1. Place all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake hard.
- 2. Pour straight into a serving glass without straining and garnish with a slice of lemon peel.
- • 50ml Gin Bothy Amaretto
- • 25ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- • 15ml sugar syrup
- • Egg white — half an egg’s worth
- • Honeycomb
- 1. Pour the Amaretto into a shaker with the lemon juice, sugar syrup and ice.
- 2. Strain through a hawthorn strainer into a coupette glass.
- 3. Add the egg white to the shaker and dry shake.
- 4. Double strain to remove the bubbles and grate honeycomb on top.