Home baking can be incredibly satisfying and some even see it as a mindful exercise, but to an outsider it can seem daunting when you consider some of the equipment required to bake successfully.
So, if you’re looking to transition into the world of home baking this no bake cheesecake could be a fun and delicious starting point.
Scottish gin extraordinaires The Old Curiosity Distillery were inspired by this dreamy gin and tonic cheesecake recipe, updating a simple classic with the magical colour changing Lemon Verbena Gin for a delicious slice of cheesecake heaven.
Lemon Verbena Gin Cheesecake
- 2 x 50ml Old Curiosity Lemon Verbena Gin
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 100g butter, melted
- 600g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra zest to serve
- 280ml double cream
- 200ml tonic
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 Lemon, half juice, half finely sliced
- 2 medium meringues, crushed
- Butter and line a loose-bottomed tin with parchment paper. Put 250g of digestive biscuits in a plastic bag and crush to crumbs. Place into a bowl and then pour over 100g melted butter. Mix until the crumbs are coated completely. Tip them into the tin and press down the base, making sure it’s completely even. Chill in the fridge for 1 hr to set.
- For the filling, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime zest with an electric whisk. Mix in the gin and double cream, and continue beating until the mixture is thick and combined. Start to spoon it onto the biscuit base, and spread to the edges. Smooth the top of the cheesecake down. Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- Pour 50ml gin and 200ml tonic into a pan, add the caster sugar and lemon juice and boil. Once it has reduced to a syrup (about 3-4 minutes over high heat), cool a little, then add the lime juice and the slices of lemon and toss in the syrup. Allow to cool completely.
- Top with a handful of meringues, then drizzle with the syrup, scattering the lemon slices on top as you go. Add a final dusting of lime zest, slice and serve.
Old Curiosity Lemon Verbena Gin is available to buy from the Gin Kin Shop.
Recipe adapted from Gin and Tonic Cheesecake Recipe.