You don’t always need your passport to experience a true taste of Italy. This dreamy lemon gin mousse was inspired by Chef Simon Webster’s visit to Sorrento and uses Italian gin brand, Malfy Gin, to bring you an authentic dessert experience you can create easily at home.
Just add a slice of lemon into your dessert glass for added glamour if you’re looking to serve to guests.
Lemon Gin Mousse
Makes 4 cups of mousse.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (7gram) sachets of unflavoured gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Malfy Gin Con Limone
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- Using an electric mixer (hand or stand mixer), beat yolks with sugar until thick, creamy and white, about 10 minutes.
- Continue mixing and add the lemon zest, juice and gin. In a measuring cup combine the gelatin with 1/4 cup of very hot water.
- Stir until clear and add to the egg yolk mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until fluffy and stiff, about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat cream until fluffy and stiff, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble the mousse, gently fold the cream into the yolk mixture and then the egg whites.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for a minimum 4 hours or overnight.
- Pipe into dessert dishes to serve or use as a trifle or cake filling.