In 2012 Jim Meehan created the ‘Old Friend’ cocktail for a 2012 Chef’s Club event in Aspen as a “distant cousin” of the whiskey-based Old Pal in the gin sour format.
Now Rock Rose makers Dunnet Bay Distillers have updated the Old Friend recipe with a little bit of sweetness brought about by Rock Rose Pink Grapefruit Old Tom Gin.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-make aperitif for a warm summer’s evening, the ‘Sweet Old Friend’ ticks all the boxes.
Rock Rose Sweet Old Friend
- 30ml Pink Grapefruit Old Tom Gin
- 15 pink grapefruit juice
- 15ml Campari
- 15ml elderflower liqueur
- Grapefruit peel to garnish
- Add ice to a shaker and all ingredients except soda.
- Shake well until chilled and fine strain into a glass.
- Top with soda.
- Garnish with grapefruit peel.
Rock Rose Pink Grapefruit Old Tom Gin is available to buy from the Gin Kin Shop.