Gin is by far the most suitable spirit to make the best botanical cocktails. The ingredients of gin can contain all sorts of different plants, fruits, berries and herbs.
It’s this menagerie of plant life that makes each bottle of gin so unique and offers so much potential when it comes to whipping up beautiful cocktails.
Garnishes are of course a key component and our list contains the perfect combinations to complement the botanical gins.
It’s time to bring the beauty of the countryside into your glass.
Best Botanical Cocktails
The Duchess Lavender
- • 40ml Gordon Castle Gin
- • 20ml Gordon Castle Plum Gin Liqueur
- • 10ml fresh lemon juice
- • 1 dash vanilla essence
- • 30ml Mediterranean tonic water
- • 1 egg white
- • Fresh lavender from Gordon Castle Walled Garden (if you can!)
- 1. Muddle lavender with lemon and liqueur, add other ingredients (except tonic) and shake with ice.
- 2. Double strain into glass, top with tonic and garnish with more lavender.
- • 37.5ml Isle of Bute Gorse Gin
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • 12.5ml sugar syrup
- • 37.5ml Butterfly Pea Tea
- • Sparkling wine
- • Lemon twist and butterfly pea tea flower to garnish
- 1. Shake up all ingredients apart from sparkling wine into a cocktail shaker filled with cubed ice.
- 2. Fine strain into a flute without ice.
- 3. Top up with sparkling wine and garnish with lemon twist and a butterfly pea tea flower.
- • 50ml Kintyre Gin
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • 25ml sugar syrup
- • 8 basil leaves
- 1. Shake over ice, strain into a glass filled with ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.
Lavender & Echinacea G&T
- • 50ml Lavender and Echinacea Gin
- • Fever-Tree Light Tonic Water
- • Lavender and lime to garnish
- 1. Pour the gin into a glass with ice.
- 2. Top up with tonic and watch the glorious colour change.
- 3. Garnish with a lavender sprig and a lime wheel.
- • 30ml Cambridge Dry Gin
- • 25ml lemon juice
- • 20ml honey syrup
- • 25ml apple juice
- • Egg white
- • Fresh dill to garnish
- • Fresh flowers to garnish
- 1. Combine ingredients in a shaker, dry shake, then shake with ice.
- 2. Fine strain and serve over ice in tumbler.
- 3. Garnish with dill pollen, dill and fresh flowers.
Dandelion and Burdock Cosmo Daisy
- • 50ml Dandelion & Burdock Gin
- • 25ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- • 10ml sugar syrup
- • 15ml Triple Sec
- • 2 raspberries
- 1. Shake ingredients over ice.
- 2. Double strain into a cocktail glass.
- 3. Garnish with dandelion flowers.
- • 25ml Old Curiosity Pink Elderflower & Jasmine Gin
- • 25ml Sauvignon Blanc
- • 5ml elderflower cordial
- • Fever-Tree Elderflower Tonic
- • Orange and rosemary to garnish
- 1. Shake all ingredients except tonic and pour into a Highball glass.
- 2. Top up with tonic and garnish with orange and rosemary.
Ink & Tonic
- • 30ml Ink Gin
- • 120ml tonic
- • Seasonal garnish
- 1. Pour the gin and tonic over ice and watch the colour-changing magic happen.
- 2. Use seasonal botanical garnishes such as local flowers in summer or herbs in winter.
Brookie's Rainforest Sour
- • 60ml Brookie’s Slow Gin
- • 30ml lemon juice
- • 1x healthy bar spoon of Davidson’s Plum Jam
- • 10ml Aquafaba
- • Garnish with aniseed myrtle leaf or an edible flower & Davidson Plum Powder
- 1. Shake with ice & double strain into ice-filled glass.
- 2. Garnish with your choice of edible flowers & Davidson Plum Powder.
- • 50ml Thunderflower Gin
- • 15ml fresh lemon juice
- • 10ml rose syrup
- • Prosecco
- • Rosemary
- 1. Shake the gin, lemon juice and rose syrup with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- 2. Strain into a Champagne flute or similar glass.
- 3. Top with Prosecco.
- 4. Add a sprig of rosemary to garnish.
Image by @theoldeprivy Instagram.
Elderflower & Mint Cooler
- • 25ml The Lakes Gin
- • 25ml The Lakes Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 25ml Lemon juice
- • 25ml Dry white wine
- • Soda water, tonic water, lemonade or any kind of bubbles you have available
- • Cucumber ribbon
- • White sugar
- • Mint leaves
- 1. Prepare a highball glass with a cucumber ribbon wrapped around the inside.
- 2. Add The Lakes Gin, The Lakes Elderflower Gin Liqueur, lemon juice, white wine, a tsp white sugar and 4 mint leaves into your highball.
- 3. Next, add large ice cubes to fill your highball and top with your choice of bubbles.
- 4. Churn with a long thin spoon to stir the ingredients, trying to not knock the cucumber ribbon.
Garnish with a lemon wedge and sprig of mint.
Raspberry & Elderflower Gin Fizz
- • 15ml Raspberry & Elderflower Gin Liqueur
- • 60ml Mr Hobbs Gin
- • 35ml fresh lemon juice
- • 15ml sugar syrup
- • 10 x fresh raspberries (25ml raspberry puree)
- • 3 x dashes orange bitters
- • Soda
- • Mint leaves, viola flower and raspberries to garnish
- 1. Muddle raspberries in shaker.
- 2. Place top 5 ingredients into an ice filled shaker.
- 3. Shake and fine strain into an ice filled hi-ball & top up with soda.
- 4. Garnish with raspberries, mint and viola flower.