As the nights get darker the cocktails we drink need to do a little more than look pretty, they need to have a hearty warming effect too.
That’s why this Mikklemas Pear Spritz cocktail recipe is perfect for autumn and winter sipping.
Mikkelmas Gin from Orkney Gin Company is steeped in centuries of tradition. The Mikkelfeast, or the Feast of St Michael, was traditionally celebrated by Orcadians to mark the end of the harvest and the beginning of a long winter.
The botanical list in the gin has a winter feel; orange peel, cinnamon, secret mulled spices are all there alongside Orcadian heather berries and juniper berries.
This recipe serves 4 – perfect for a cosy evening gathering around the fire.
Mikklemas Pear Spritz
- 100ml Mikkelmas Gin
- Mint sprigs (3 will do, and some more to garnish)
- 1 pint of cold ginger beer
- 75ml pear liqueur
- Juice of one lime
- Lots of ice
- Ginger to garnish
- Mash together the mint with Mikkelmas, add ice and stir (or shake) well.
- Add ginger beer, pear liqueur and lime to taste.
- Serve in a tall glass with some mint and a thin slice of ginger to garnish.
- If you find ginger beer too spicy, try a ginger ale, and a small amount of ginger.
- If you prefer your long drinks a little stronger, you can use 200ml Mikkelmas, which is equal to two 25ml shots per person.
Mikklemas is available to buy from the Gin Kin Shop.